Hi Pat,

I hadn't thought of doing that. That's a good solution for some things.
Your problem may be where you are trying to do the edit.
You need to edit existing locations in the Master Location list unless
you want the location with and without the formatting.
It works for me.
I chose a location used in a Residence event and the italics are there
in the reports.
I chose to edit a location for another event in the Event dialogue just
by adding formatting to part of it and it asked if I wanted to save a
new location.

Of course if you want the location without the italics as well then
you'd have to have two entries in the Location list which were identical
apart from the italics (or whatever other formatting you applied).

I note that formatting for a vital event location doesn't show through
onto Family View but is there in reports.

When you tried to use both italics and underline, were you trying to do
both at the same time.
that is: highlight the bit you wanted formatting and then go Ctrl + u
and then immediately Ctrl + i?
If so, that's why it didn't work. You have to highlight the bit you are
formatting again, otherwise you've just added the second format to the
end of the highlighted section.

Cathy