I missed that if anyone was saying you *must* do it a certain way.  But
I will say this unequivocally:  If you expect to get a decent
alphabetical sorting mechanism for the place name divisions you use in
reports, then you*/_must be consistent with whatever divisions you
decide_/*. The standard for the United States and Canada (city, county,
state or province, country) -- or the reverse if sorting right to left
-- does work well enough for us, even in Europe.  For example, are not
the .....shires in England roughly equivalent to our counties, or close
enough to use the county position for the ...shires? Jerry Boor,
MerriamFamilyTree.org