Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:35:22 -0800
From: b_goodbee...@rogers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Rules for Entering Place Names in England and Canada
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com

I have been thinking about the Location issue and have come to realize that
there is no perfect solution. Using the terms Place in Events, Location in
Citations and having the ability to add an Address with Postal Code to an Event
adds to the confusion.The fact that we are recording information from a
different time period when life was a lot simpler adds to the problem. I keep
coming back to the fact that a fundamental fact of recording information from a
time long ago is to record it as it was then and not to modify the details to
fit into our current mode of doing things. Who would of thought we would have
had postal codes and GPS's?As it relates
 to Census records, specifically England and Wales, I suggest that the Citation
Details page be changed to reflect the information available from the Census
record and not cherry pick in away that does not flow.My first suggestion after
having completed the Source page identifying The National Archives as the
source I would enter all the details of the Census into the Citation Detail
window in this order.First I would identify the Census with the National
Archives reference of PRO RG12 Piece Number 1200 Folio 30 Page 50 (eg). This is
the information you need to identify the specific Census record.Second I would
list the Location details starting with Administrative County, then Civil
Parish, Ecclesiastical Parish, then
 County Borough,Municipal Borough or Urban District, then Ward of Municipal
Borough or Urban Borough, then Rural District, then Parliamentary Borough or
Division and lastly Town or village or Hamlet, all as listed at the top of the
Census sheet. If this information is not complete it can be viewed on the
Description of Enumeration District (ED 22 eg) sheet or from the present day
transcriptions. Some of this information may not be relevant in today's
thinking but it is important to record the information as it was then. Also be
wary of transcriptions with mistakes!Next I would enter the Road, Street
etc,and No or Name of the House.Note: Currently the information entered into
the Location Details box does not appear in the Master Location listing.Then
the person's ID with maybe relationship to Head of Household and marital
status.All information should be recorded as shown on the Census sheet without
any changes to spelling. Create an AKA if you wish but often there has been no
change to the name other than the enumerator wrote down what he or she thought
they heard. I'm sure a suitable Citation Detail template could be developed to
satisfy the recording of the Census information in this manner. There is a
template now so it must be possible.Other information such as age, occupation,
where born or health condition can be recorded elsewhere within the Legacy
software with reference to the appropriate Source.If a Location is required to
appear in the Master Location listing then an Event/Fact needs to be created
(Residence/Place eg), using poetic license as necessary if you wish it to be
recognizable in today's maps or atlases. A note could be added to the Event to
record the original information. Don't forget also things change and what
existed 100 years ago might not exist today! Also bear in mind that the
software default of Place, County, State, Country is not universal and may not
meet your needs. Sorting from right to left mitigates this problem somewhat.As
to the sharing of Sources the process really is sharing the Source and the
Citation Details with the only thing changing is the person's ID. The person's
ID is not shared. There is also an issue with a family sharing the same house
with details spread
 over two pages each having two different NA references. Maybe I should stick
with cut, paste and edit?This diatribe relates primarily to the 1851 to 1901
England and Wales Census but the underlying concept of recording any Source
information should be that it should be recorded as is with no modifications.
Any errors, spelling mistakes etc should be recorded in the Notes.A copy of
this will be sent to Make a Suggestion for consideration.Barry GodbeerBrampton,
Ontario

     On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:20 PM, Brian L. Lightfoot
cemeteries in the past few years in which they've switched to GPS coordinates
for grave locations. But not having at the time a GPS enabled phone or camera,
I had to rely upon the old "go to the curve in the road, then it’s the 3rd
grave to the left of the big oak tree".Brian in CA-----Original
Message-----From: Sherry/Support
 [mailto:she...@legacyfamilytree.com]Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 1:39
PMTo: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.comSubject: Re: [LegacyUG] Rules for Entering
Place Names in England and CanadaUnless, of course, there's a major tectonic
event (aka, Earthquake) in which case some ground shift can be quite huge <g>
Even mudslides can move things around quite a bit as well as dams breaking -
I'll never forget the Baldwin Hills dam giving way and bodies in the cemetery
at the base of the dam were relocated quite some distance
<g>.Sincerely,SherryTechnical SupportLegacy Family TreeOn Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at
8:48 AM, Brian L. Lightfoot <br...@the-lightfoots.com> wrote:> Technically,
every spot on earth is moving…ever so slowly. But in our> lifetime, the
measurable differences are so small. Here is Wikipedia’s> answer:>> The surface
layer of the Earth, the lithosphere, is broken up into> several tectonic
plates. Each plate moves in a different direction, at> speeds of about 50 to
100 mm per year. As a result, for example, the> longitudinal difference between
 point on the equator in Uganda (on> the African Plate) and a point on the
equator in Ecuador (on the South> American Plate) is increasing by about 0.0014
arcseconds per year.>> Now if your family file goes back 500,000 years, then
your latitude> and longitude coordinates have a problem. Otherwise, you’re OK.
J>>> Brian in CA which is sliding into the Pacific OceanLegacy User Group
guidelines:http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.aspArchived messages after
Nov. 21
 2009:http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/Archived
messages from old mail server - before Nov. 21
2009:http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/Online
technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.aspFollow Legacy on
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on our blog
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp