From: Wendy Howard [mailto:wendy.how...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 8:11 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Attaching Media (Specifically, Copies of Documents)

Hi Dennis,

It depends on how you use the Master Source, whether in your particular
situation it is better to attach the image to the Master Source or the Source
Detail.

An example...  you have your great-grandmother's birth certificate. Ask
yourself this question - do you set up a new Master Source for that certificate
alone, or do you use a Master Source that covers all birth certificates for
that country/state/county/whatever?

There isn't a right answer here, only the answer that works for you.

Some people will set up a new Master Source for each certificate they acquire.
We call that "splitting" on this mailing list; you end up with a lot of Master
Sources this way. In this situation you probably won't use the Source Detail
very much, and it's appropriate to attach an image to the Master Source.

Other people will set up a Master Source for all birth certificates they
acquire of the same type, and then put the information specific to each item in
the Source Detail. In this situation, I'd attach an image to the Source Detail,
so that each citation has an image relevant to its use.
We call this "lumping" on this mailing list.

I tend to do a bit of both. When I first started entering sources, I set up a
separate Master Source for each certificate I had. Later on, when I'd learned
more and thought about what I wanted, I changed to using one Master Source for
all New Zealand birth certificates, and another for all New Zealand birth
registrations (a copy of the Registrar's book, we're a bit different in this
country!), and others for marriages and deaths, and repeat for England, and
Scotland, and for each state in Australia from which I've acquired documents,
and so on.

One day I might change all those early entries and get rid of the Master
Sources that cover one piece of paper alone, but then I may never get around to
that. Either way, the information is still stored and can be properly
interpreted by anyone reading my data.

Where I've cited a book, I set up a Master Source for the book as a whole, and
then in the Source Detail I put the information about which page a piece of
information came from. Here, I could put an image of the book cover in the
Master, and an image of a page in the Detail, if I so desired.

So think about what works for you, and go with that. Keep asking questions here
- the program is very flexible, and there are usually at least two ways of
doing something. Which is right, depends on your preferences and expectations.

Hope this helps. :-)

Wendy