From: John B. Lisle [mailto:leg...@johnlisle.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:55 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Adding a wife to Legacy

Michele,

Of course, the primary name for a woman should be her maiden name. When you
knowingly record her name as her surname as (one of) her married name and then
publish your data, you forever create a confusion for other researchers as to
who she is/was.

When I see a genealogy and see John Smith married to Mary Smith, I need to know
if Smith is her maiden name or not. Of course, such situations happen and when
they do, I try very hard to document both of their parents so that I can show
that they come from different Smith families.

Further, one of my personal recording standards is that everyone has both a
given name and a surname. And when I do not know what they are, use a limited
set of words to clarify the person.

For unknown surname, I always use [--?--]. I invented this 20 years ago and it
or some variation is now becoming popular. Why? It is a string of data that can
never be confused for a real surname. Someone once wrote a satirical article
about the genealogy of the mysterious "Unk" family. :-)

For unknown given names, I use Mister, Miss, Son, Daughter, Child. These names
both clarify your knowledge of the individual but also document the gender of
the person.

To assure that Legacy's Potential problem alerts don't flare up, you can create
an UnknownName.txt file to document what you use so Legacy will not alert you
when you use them (See the help page on Potential Problem Alerts to learn how
to construct that file and where to place it on your PC.

Further, when a woman I document in my genealogy marries using a married name,
I will document her previous husband(s). Besides providing a proof trail
showing how she got that name from her maiden name, proving your assignment of
her maiden name, it could also document where some children found in a
household came from.

If I wish to see married names, I just turn on married names in either name
list or index view.

john.