I agree, I would not use Unknown for a field where I want to show that
there should be a person. In the absence of a name Legacy introduces
Unknown all by itself into too many situations - Unknown-Unknown
marriages for example.

If a name is not know I put "not known" (in lower case and without the
quote marks) in the given name field, and leave the surname field blank
if I don't know it. You can always find the "not known" people in the
Name List alongside their spouse or children.
After all no-one is Unknown, it's just that at this time the name is not
known to me. Somewhere it is known, I just haven't found it yet.

Boyd