Gerald,

I agree with you that trying to manually modify GEDCOM in Excel would me an
impossible task.  That’s why I wrote Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code
(i.e., Excel macros) to do the modifying automatically.  Think of the
macro-enable spreadsheet as a GEDCOM preprocessor in going from Legacy to TNG.

Access is a database that can read and edit the Legacy .fdb file, which is an
Access database.  LTools is an example of a program that uses Access to edit
the Legacy  data.  I have it, but haven’t been able to use it very much because
it cannot handle shared events, which I routinely use because of the time it
saves on data input.  I have used Access directly to view various Legacy
database tables, mainly to check for inconsistencies in my data input.  But any
changes that need to be made have been done directly in Legacy.

Don Quigley

945 Halecrest Drive

Escondido, CA 92025

(H) 760-746-5887