Sherry and Mike,

Mike, thanks for your reply, but the files already passed though Legacy
versions prior to 7 with no indication of LDS content, so likely no tools re.
such. I do have Win 2k and XP CDs, but files go back to 98 and 95 days, and I
have no equipment with compatible drivers etc. for any. I considered emulation
under linux, but no longer have the quality of support needed to go that route
again.

Sherry, thanks too, but the problem is passing the files on. I'm not too picky
about my personal use. I downloaded and worked with IGI data on a county wide
basis when it wasn't supposed to be possible, but if I know files may have LDS
content, it's clearly unethical to pass them on. I use "may", because it's also
possible that there is none, just erroneous reporting of errors by 7.5.

I'm pursuing this because other Legacy users may need to look way back. One
reason that I do is recent advances in atDNA matching. Present database
searching is set up to principally search by known names. Match searching
within atDNA and mtDNA databases produces names which are mostly collaterals.
Old, early research seems to be rich in fragments or small trees collected
because of proximity or other reasons, but never connected to the family tree.
It's a source of collateral names with likelihood of DNA matching, not useful
to me, but potentially very valuable to others. Another reason is lost data. An
example is my PlymtreePratt file. That contained much information from the OPC,
presumably now dead, including early births. Work stopped about 2002, because
there was no film or other access to parish records for neighbouring
Broadhembury. Those BMD records became available last December, when Devon BMD
came online, removing the brick wall. Plymtree early births were missing there
though, so may now be lost.

kb