Well this is a lesson on learning where and how both databases and
backups are saved - and you can choose the location for both.
I'm sorry, I can't imagine using any program without learning that in
the first couple of days AND how to restore any backup.
I trust you know that now.

I suspect the "data loss" was caused by opening an older copy of the
database. I'd check your computer for databases and, apart from the
backup zips, get rid of earlier copies of the database with the same name.

Also check what you have for Options - Customise 1.2
I think it is best to use the third option to open a particular database
- checking of course that you have the right database in the right
folder when you select the file.

RE the number of people in the database.
1) the Home Tab
2) unless you've been deleting and/or merging people and not using the
Tools - Renumber RINS to compact the database, you can go to Index View,
put the cursor in the RIN box at the top to order by RIN and scroll to
the bottom.
3) Open the Name List and make sure that the options to include Alt
Names and Married Names is off - see the number in the Title Bar.

Cathy