On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Evelyn .. <ej1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. if a woman doesn't take her husband's last name at marriage then she
> will just be known officially by her maiden name. In the name list it shows
> women by both their maiden name and by ALL their potential married names.
> If I didn't know that she went by her maiden name, or if I didn't know her
> maiden name, I could browse the husband's last name and her name would show
> up. It doesn't hurt. In reports, I can make a specific note stating she
> didn't change her last name.
>
> In fact, there are many cultures where neither the men nor the women
> changed their last names upon marriage.

Half of my tree is Norwegian where the woman does not taken her husband's
name.  (At least not until late 1800 or early 1900's depending on the
area.)  I went to Customize > #2​Data Entry > #2.8Rule for generating
default married names and using the drop down box, selected the first
option of 0-none- don't generate married names.

Thanks seems to answered the situation for me as my Norwegian side is in
it's own family file.  Because of several major cultural differences, I
have my German side in it's own file.  This 2.8 option works in the family
file only, not global.  So if you have only one family file for all your
ancestors, this option most likely will not work for you.
Linda