I lean the other way on source info. I think that most viewers of reports or
web pages that I produce appreciate more of a lean and mean presentation. Sum
up the facts and stories in a nice, (quickly) readable way. Don’t bore the
reader with sources, except in special cases where knowledge of the source,
itself, is of interest. Yes, this means that I often have multiple source
citations for the same event or note. When there is any ambiguity, I add a
comment to the unprinted comment section of the source detail, saying which
fact is backed up by this citation. A future researcher will figure it out,
while present day readers of reports/webpages will not run out of patience
while slogging through a lot of detail.

I imported a file of data by a well-respected researcher, but he had placed
many source details in the general notes, rather than using proper source
citations. (E.g., multiple census transcripts, death records, comments by other
researchers, etc.) While I, as a researcher, am glad to have this source
information, it results in horribly long, verbose reports. Boring to the
average reader.

In your sample event, I would rather read something like:
“Sarah was living with her family at 22 Cottage St.,... in 1920. At age 18, she
was not in school but could read and write.”
The rest goes elsewhere. The birth year should be in the regular birth or alt
birth field, as ‘About 1902’. The mother’s occupation should be with the
mother’s notes/events. Keep the overall reports concise. (Actually, I do not
see the need for any such event for Sarah. I would rather have a single
marriage event, or head of household event, for the whole family for the 1920
census.)

Although I rarely use the notes fields associated with the built-in vital
events, I do still agree that reports often have an awkward sequence of items.

   Ward