Hi Virginia,

The current version of Legacy is 8.0.0.566

How much do you know about where your files are saved?

The default folder for data in Legacy 8 is Documents/Legacy Family Tree/Data but you can save it wherever you like. However, you have to have this folder: Documents/Legacy Family Tree/ as it has a folder in it that keeps your settings - including which family file to open.

You set that in Legacy at Options - Customise 1.2

To see where your Legacy backups are being saved in Legacy go to File - Backup and it's on the screen underneath the button that says: Select Name and Location for Data Backup (and a similar one for the Media backup).

But I think you are talking about a backup system for your whole computer? I can't tell you how that works because I don't know what backup program you are using. Ask the person who set it up for you. I think someone else must have done it because if you'd done it yourself, you'd know.

Here's an article on going from one computer to another.
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00505/14/Tips-and-How-Tos/Moving-Your-Family-File-From-One-Computer-to-Another.html
There are some others at support.legacyfamilytree.com that may be relevant.

Cathy

Virginia Vocelli wrote:

Hello: I think this problem was addressed a few weeks ago. Sorry but I
didn’t know I was going to need it.

Here’s the story: I agreed to the latest update in July (8.0.0.559) to
Legacy, turned off the computer, and on return from vacation, rather
than my family file page coming up, I was asked to select a List of
files. The best choice is to “Have Legacy Create a List” but that
includes only one that directly relates to my family with .fdb
extension and not samples. So, I have been finding that and entering
data the usual way. How do I set Legacy so that file will come up
every time? How do I know the daily back-up set for an external hard
drive is finding the right file?

Second question: where are the instructions for installing Legacy and
family files on a new computer, which I am going to get next month. I
think I’ve read about them but don’t know where to look.

Thank you.

Ginny Vocelli