From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:35 PM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Copying Sources from FamilySearch.org to Legacy and
Ancestry.com

Bill and others,

1) It sounds as if you haven't discovered Privacy Brackets in Legacy.
Privacy Brackets are double square brackets that can be used in any field.
Anything between the brackets is only printed/published/exported to gedcom or
new Legacy file IF you override that element of the Privacy options.
[[anything in here is private]]
So as I add data I add privacy brackets if anything is sensitive or irrelevant
or too long. eg I may add the whole email to an Event note or Source Detail
text but then edit it with Privacy Brackets.

2)Also control what parts of sources are shared via Gedcom.
When you enter a Master Source you choose whether or not to include this.
When you enter specific Source Detail you choose whether to include this
citation.
When you enter Source Detail Text or Comments, you choose whether to include
those as par t of the Source.
If you haven't realised that - take a look for the checkboxes on all those
screens.
These can be globally reset from Options - Customise 7.2 and 7.3 by choosing
your defaults for these checkboxes and then clicking Apply to Apply to existing
sources. If you just change the default at 7.2 and 7.3 those settings only
apply to new sources.
THEN when you export to Gedcom as a way of publishing your data online via
Ancestry or elsewhere, do not use the option to Override source options ...
Also do not use the Privacy Options to override Privacy

Family Tree Maker had a full sync with Ancestry.
Legacy doesn't. Legacy doesn't have access to Ancestry's API for this.
RootsMagic will but they have delayed the release of this new feature as it's
proving more difficult than first thought.
These interactions are not easy. They're also not always desirable.

Cathy

William Boswell wrote:

One problem I have with notes and email sources is I have so many of
them that there’s too many to go through individually.  I only mention
this because there could be information that I do not want to share if
it is going to a public tree.  Emails would also have email addresses
for living people who may not want their information shared.  And I
have found I might have made a controversial remark in notes that a
relative might see and take the wrong way (i.e. “so and so was an
alcoholic”).

After much experience of exporting from Legacy to a GEDCOM then
uploading to Ancestry I find it much better to leave all notes and
sources out.  While it might be a headache later (and it is), if I
have a lot of Ancestry sources it is better to reattach them on the
other side since the uploaded ones would have to be deleted anyway.
In a way it gives me a chance to “revisit” those ancest ors to see if
further research is needed or new sources might be available.

I remember the days when we used Ancestry sources with images and they
could be uploaded from Family Tree Maker.  Now Ancestry wants us to
use their sources without our images.

Bill Boswell