Also, if you don’t keep all your pictures in one place, you can find the
location of individual pictures by highlighting the picture in that person’s
media gallery and see the path on the bottom of the media gallery screen.

Jane in Phoenix

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:29 PM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] TO LINK THE MEDIA FOLDER/FILES

Wam,
To see where your media attached to Legacy is, see either View - Master Lists -
Media Folder List or go to Options - Customise 6.2 and click View Current List
of Media Folders.
These may show the full path or use codes that reference the folders at 6.1
[Family File Folder] or 6.2 [Default Media Folder]

Option 6.2 should reference your parent media folder. You set this yourself.

What is unusual with your folder setup is that you don't have your data at a
different level in your folder hierarchy. More normal is Data and Media at the
same level with Pictures, Documents etc under that or Data as the parent folder
with Media under it.
Data\Media\Legacy Pictures\
However that shouldn't be a problem.

With your folder setup you are right that 6.2 should reference
D:\Dropbox\legacy-myname\

The default locations are
...\Documents\L egacy Family Tree\Data\
and ...\Documents\Legacy Family Tree\Media\
but you don't have to use these. You just set 6.1 and 6.2 to the folder you are
using.

However you do have to have
...\Documents\Legacy Family Tree\_AppData\
This folder holds your Legacy Settings. You cannot change the name of any
element of that path.

RE the data. Note that your family file is <yourfamilyfilename>.fdb. This is
the file that holds your data. The <yourfamilyfilename>.tc is just a minor
associated file. The more features of Legacy you use, the more associated files
you'll have

Cathy

wam eskes wrote:

Hello Team,

I have a problem: "TO LINK THE MEDIA FOLDER/FILES"

My legacy-myname folder contains the following subfolders:

Legacy-myname

backup data

Data

Docs

Pictures

Sounds

Video

Works In Progress HOW

S electing Options>Customize I search in 6. Locations for my family file:

6.1 Default location of family files (gbl)

D:\Dropbox\legacy-myname\Data

And Legacy starts up with my family file “myname.TC” and all looks fine.

Looking now at:

6.2 Default location of media files (ff)

D:\Dropbox\legacy-myname\Pictures

I now link the photographs but no other media files (Docs, Sound, etc.)

However, from reading the “Help” for 6.2 I had expected that just the
path "D:\Dropbox\legacy-myname" should suffice:

*6.2 Default Location of Media Files*

Legacy keeps track of all the folder locations from which you have
loaded picture, sound, and video files. If the file cannot be found in
any of these locations, the /Find File/ window is displayed and offers
to help you find it or let you browse for it yourself.

As y ou link pictures, sounds, video, and other documents into your
family file, Legacy automatically records their location folders