Sherry,

While technically it really doesn't matter, but I beg to differ with your comment.
My Legacy 8 was installed at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Legacy8

My Legacy 9 got installed to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Legacy9

Note the version # at the very end of the folder name. So Legacy 9 is either deleting the old Legacy8 folders, or it is renaming them.

Seeing the different folder names is why I thought I was safe, why I thought I'd be able to have both 8 (deluxe) and 9 (basic) installed at the same time.

I realize that "installing on top of" the old version (or "installing and DELETING/RENAMING old version as Legacy 9 apparently does") saves support a lot of headaches - I remember many forum e-mails from people going from 7 to 8 that kept getting confused on which icon to use, which datafile to use, etc. But since all(?) previous versions of Legacy allowed the old version to stay in place, this version should either do the same ('cause that is what Legacy users are used to) OR it should give an obvious warning that version 8 will NOT be available after the install. A blatant warning is ESPECIALLY important since the program folder names are different and thus the install (as it is now) IMPLIES that version 8 will be "safe and usable" after version 9 is installed. (And, if it could offer to leave version 8 around that would even be better).

If I had known my version 8 would be blown away, I would have initially installed version 9 in a "sandbox" (VM machine) until I was truly ready to do the real upgrade.

Bob