I didn't know about the "path too long" problem, but I'm guessing I haven't run into it because, with a few exceptions, I use a numerical system for files. Early on, too many sources pertained to too many surnames and I found myself getting stuck as to how to name them with surnames. Once I did pick one, turned out I couldn't find what I was looking for because I couldn't remember which name I picked.