On 13-Jul-17 07:46 PM, Dennis Birke wrote:
I'd like to have a reference book or manual that tells me what the standard
practice is -- so that I don't have to spend hours trying to think it through
or proceeding on a trial and error basis and then having to re-do a dozen
entries after discovering I guessed wrong.

SourceWriter templates are based on the examples in Elizabeth Shown Mills' book Evidence Explained, so you might want to purchase that, but you might find it rather more "professional" than you want.

Another example:  Cites like FamilySearch are very helpful in offering full citations for some
kinds of information.  But, I've been having a very difficult time figuring out how to fit those
citations into Source Writer (and, again, figuring out the appropriate level for separating a
"master source" from "details".

The best way to think of the difference between Master and Detail is "what will be repeated again and again and what is specific to this one occasion?" Repeated again and again means Master Source, and specific means Detail.

For example, a family tree drawn up by someone else includes lots of your relatives with many details about their vital events (birth, marriage, etc.) The family tree is the Master Source (you might call it Bloggs Family Tree). When entering Birth information for Joe Bloggs you cite that master Source for his Name and Birth date/place. You select Bloggs Family Tree as the Master Source and enter detail specific to Joe Bloggs in the Source Detail fields. Then you move on to entering the Death date for John Smith. You again select the Bloggs Family Tree as the Master Source but this time enter what is specific to John Smith in the Source Details.

--
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/