Did someone say that My Heritage "wanted" Legacy.  Or did Legacy want to
get out of the business.  I did not see anything to support either.
Perhaps My Heritage wants the data that we have,  It is the only thing of
Value that I can think of.  You will notice how Ancestry added 150 Million
records to its service with the absorption of FAG.

Ian

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM, <johnbernac...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> I do not know about computer programming but I think it would have been
> better for all if Millennia had bitten the bullet a long time ago to update
> its technology to handle Unicode etc. I imagine the longer it has been left
> while adding more “bells and whistles”, the harder it has become to rewrite
> Legacy on new technology.
>
> Nations like US and Australia are very multicultural and increasingly so.
> To me, Unicode should be a core feature of any family history software.
> Meanwhile bells and whistles like graphs or plotting of migration or
> nationality are very inaccurate and gimmicky for people with ancestors from
> parts of the world where borders have frequently changed. The same person
> can have a “nationality” different to their ethnicity or language. They may
> have lived in the same location for their whole life but lived in several
> countries due to border changes etc. If you really want to know about your
> ancestors and their lives, you need research the history of the specific
> town/s they lived in. Many of the names will require Unicode. Even then,
> care must be taken because sometimes many different towns can have the same
> name. Therefore Google Maps can lead you astray- another reason why
> plotting locations can be very inaccurate or gimmicky.
>
> MyHeritage has Unicode and users from all over the world. It is hard to
> imagine why they would want Legacy unless they intend to rewrite it with
> Unicode or scrap it altogether. Since there is no intention to include
> Unicode in Legacy 10, maybe the latter is their intention. But who knows-
> reality is often stranger than fiction.
>
> If MyHeritage rewrites or changes Legacy, I only hopes it keeps its
> various screen views- uncluttered, aesthetically pleasing, easy to follow
> and navigate, easy to explain things to people who not family historians or
> genealogists etc.
>
> John

  ICMac Sales:     Hobby consultant (1986r.)
Office hours:   10:00 Am - 5:00 PM  most days
              Macaulay Genealogy
                 Family Matters
      Ian Macaulay    of Carp, Ontario