The best method is to use the Tagging features. I often do this in a way to include spouse's parents. If you first Tag all descendants, and then go to export, the program gives you the option of selecting all records with an individual Tag of: All their Spouses, and/or all their Children, and/or all their Parents. If you want to include other sections, then Tag them too, before exporting. If you want to also include or exclude any particular records before exporting, then you can do it manually, one-by-one, if you want.

After you export your file, open it, and see if it includes all those you wanted. Also go to the View menu, and select Trees, to make sure you succeeded in getting them all into one tree, assuming that was your intent.

Happy Exporting.  :-)

Joseph Leavitt