Thanks, Leonard.  I'm not completely happy with the solution in this case, which was to use a template designated for "records removed to state archives," but no field for microfilm number.  It's possible I can add that information somewhere in the template - I just haven't looked to see where yet.

Barton

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 01:10 PM, Leonard J. McCown wrote:

Personally, I like to leave as much information as possible when the time comes I am not here to answer questions for anyone seeking the record I used to make that decision. Too so much is changing, even online these days. Leonard

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History
217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903
972-254-7952
leon...@mccown.org <mailto:leon...@mccown.org> -- http://www.mccown.org <http://www.mccown.org>
People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to
their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On Behalf Of Barton Lewis
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:30 PM
To: 'Legacy User Group' <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] identify template already created

Cathy, thank you.  I spoke to the director of reprographics at the Kentucky Dept. of Libraries & Archives today, and learned a great deal about how marriages in Kentucky were recorded and how the KDLA organized them into record series upon acquiring them.

I was kind of flummoxed as to what source template in Legacy to use.  Learning the precise record type you’re dealing with is the first step, and may seem obvious (but it really took some time to define that – there are so many different record types for marriages).  By determining I was dealing with a license from 1808 I was able, by searching for “license,” to quickly come up with the available options in Source Writer.  Then I was stuck on whether to choose “removed to State Archives” or “microfilm/fiche,” since both applied to the record I had.  I chose the former, and produced a source citation exactly as shown in EE.  The KDLA director said he did not think it necessary or customary to cite the microfilm number, but rather the record type, book and page number for the source only (with the other relevant pieces of data).  I’m still not quite sure about that, and wonder if I should cite that somewhere.  But I feel I made the right choice as the template for “microfiche/film,” while providing the film # in the cite, did not produce the repository in the note, but only the bibliography, leaving one to presume (presumably) that the record was at the county level.

I wish there was a chat group somewhere devoted to sources – they’re so important, complex and nuanced – seems like there should be a forum to discuss them.  They’re fun too – sort of like a Rubik’s cube – trying to get all the elements to line up right.

Barton

http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/ <http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/>