Good thoughts!  I had to check the pregnancy angle, but sister Alice was
born in May 1921, and the census was done on 16 Jan 1920.  Too long for a
pregnancy, and I have never heard (or found evidence of) a miscarriage in
between.  They did lose their first child shortly after birth (1912), and
that is well documented, so I can see them being very cautious of any
pregnancy!

Still a mystery!  But thank you for your ideas!  Unfortunately, all the
siblings are now deceased, so I can't go back and ask questions of them!