Like the others, I do use the 4 comma separations - the majority of the
time.   I was taught to always enter the location as it was called AT THE
TIME OF THE EVENT.  I have many locations that I cannot fill the 4 sections
because the location didn't adhere to that structure - it was a territory,
a plantation, a hundred, a colony! Or even the parish was the record keeper
of the larger area.
But humans just love to set up jurisdictions and then apply laws. For a
record to survive it had to be kept at some level which was located
someplace. The local jurisdictional name is what needs to be identified.
Everybody who lived in that locality knew that jurisdiction - it didn't
have to be named on every document.  That would depend on the reason for
the document:  Goverment record such as land or court usually, church
records not so much.  Then, if need be, use the wonderful, copious places
called notes Legacy has built in to the program to enter an explanation
regarding that location at that time.
There is not a rule that you HAVE TO fill every blank spot in the location
fields.

Linda in Iowa