Hi all.. I'm cleaning up my database and seeking to adhere to some
standards when presenting my data.  Right now I'm contemplating the use of
titles.

While generally I like to follow the guidance of well received guidance
books, like Mary Slawson's "Getting it Right", I'm inclined to vary from
what she proposes for certain titles.

First, all permanent titles (e.g. military, religious) are, well,
straightforward.  No need to discuss there.

But temporary titles, including religious titles like "Deacon" and, more
significantly, appointed and elected officials, are a bit more "gray area".

How do you handle them?  Regarding Deacon, I'm using the title whenever
someone held the post prior to the 20th century, as it tended to be a "for
life" type of title, religion was much more central to society, and because
many genealogy texts distinguish those with identical names by using titles
such as "Deacon".

For elected and appointed officials, I'm inclined to put "Hon." (Honorable)
in the title prefix, and include the elected or appointed office either a)
in the title suffix, or b) as an event.

For example:
* The Hon. John Adams, 2nd President of the United States
* The Hon. Samuel Adams, 4th Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
* The Hon. William Cushing, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

While formally the term "The Honorable" is not use for deceased persons,
within the genealogy database it helps distinguish the individual, and
again, is common in genealogical texts.  Someone holding high office like
above is "The Honorable" for life.

Thoughts?

How do you handle this?  And do you use title suffixes, or events?

Lastly, doctors and attorneys.  Despite their prominence in early America,
I am disinclined from using a title prefix or suffix for either profession,
instead including it only as a event.