Cindy
here's the support article on adding multiple parents.
It's quite normal to add more than one set of parents - eg adoption.
You might want to use Privacy options so you don't output doubtful data.
I'd make all of these parent candidates Invisible but there are also privacy options for each relationship.

http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00537/14/Tips-and-How-Tos/How-to-add-multiple-and-single-parents-to-a-child.html

Cathy

Cindy Custer wrote:

Is there a way to record alternate parents?

I can track and document my ancestors back to the early 1700’s when a
son emigrated with his parents

to the Philadelphia area. However, because of varied spelling etc. I
have two equally supportable candidates

for the father who actually brought his family over from Germany.
Since wives and children were not listed in

the early federal census records, I cannot be absolutely sure which
candidate is the “real” one and would like

to document both candidates in Legacy – but don’t know how to go about it.