Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am unhappy about the much-iterated claim that we would lose a lot
> of data if we were to go PD (or CC0, or a similar non-virulent
> license).

Frederik,

I applaud your effort to write this first section in an NPOV way, and I
think you mostly succeed, but I think there's one part where you
overstate the case.

> 2c. Contributors who have currently licensed their contributions under
> CC-BY-SA have the option to withhold re-licensing because they are
> unhappy with the new license. We have no information about the
> criteria these people will use for their decision. There may be people
> who dislike PD and will not re-license under PD (but would accept
> ODC), and there may be others who dislike elements of the ODC license
> and not re-license under that (but accept PD).

I don't think it's true to say that we have no criteria on what these
people will use for their decision. Leaving aside the question of
enforceability, the current licence is, in general terms, a licence
requiring attribution and sharing-alike of data. Everyone who has
contributed data to the project has, at least, indicated their
willingness to contribute data under a licence which has these sort of
general terms.

The ODC is designed also (again, in general terms) to be a license
requiring attribution and share-alike. So it is not unreasonable for
someone to suggest that contributors are more likely to accept the ODC
than a switch to PD.

We can also look to the history of free software project relicensings to
get some idea of how people might react to various changes. I agree that
the set of contributors is not exactly the same, but I assert that the
data is still useful. Being the person who ran the major Mozilla
relicensing, I have some knowledge in this area.

I know of no projects which have changed from share-alike to PD/BSD or
equivalent. (If anyone knows of some, please say so.) However, I know of
several projects which have added or strengthened share-alike provisions
- Wine and Mozilla being only two. At least in the Mozilla case, we
chose a more-complex-than-ideal tri-licensing scheme precisely because
many contributors considered the copyleft idea to be non-negotiable.
Switching to PD/BSD was considered a complete non-starter. Of the 400+
contributors asked, only four contributors objected initially to the
addition of the GPL, and the two major contributors of those four later
thankfully changed their minds.

Gerv