On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> El Miércoles, 10 de Diciembre de 2008, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason escribió:
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Gustav Foseid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Well... If I am not mistaken, people closely involved with CC have
> argued
> > > that OSM is in the public domain and only the graphical maps are
> > > "creative" and covered by copyright. You might call that a transition
> > > strategy, if not a transition clause.
> >
> > That would entail arguing that map data is uncopyrightable while at
> > the same time transitioning the OSM map data to a new copyright
> > license. It's not feasible.
>
> It has been argued that *individual* pieces of geographical information
> (and
> other factual data) are not copyrightable, while the whole set is indeed
> copyrightable. That's what the EU database directive and the ODbL are all
> about.

Yes, but that's not OSM's position.  The project has always taken a very
conservative approach to this and erred on the side of caution.  We would
not encourage people to pick facts from Google maps and we should not, if we
are consistent, apply that to our own data.

So far we have a good reputation for a cleanly sourced data and that is
something that is worth a lot to protect.

80n