On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM, OJ W <ojwli...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> OJ W wrote:
>>> the ability to create an uncopiable map image from OSM data
>>> does seem to have appeared in the ODbL license?
>>
>> You can create an image and (provided that your image is not a data
>> base, a distinction that has not yet been resolved) restrict copying of
>> the image.
>>
>> This is essential if we want to give users the chance to combine OSM
>> material with other, more restrictively licensed material, into images
>> or other products.
>
> Exactly, so the ODbL has a political choice to license OSM map images
> as PD (that can trivially be made uncopiable) where previously we
> guaranteed that all map images would be freely copiable.  Whether this
> is "essential" hasn't been explained - it certainly isn't essential to
> the creation of free maps.

s/political/pragmatic/

The practical effect of the ODbL is to ensure that free maps are made
from quality geodata and that users of free and non-free maps made
from ODbL data have access to the data. Access to free maps is then a
matter of ensuring that they are made and distributed, rather than a
matter of trying to get the data.

BY-SA doesn't ensure this. It's like the GPL without the requirement
to provide source.

A licence that means that your map may not be free but I can make you
a free one is not absolutely convincing from a copyleft point of view.
But from a pragmatic point of view, better guarantees of access to
data that copyleft maps can and will be made from may be at least an
acceptable compromise.

- Rob.