Hi,

Frederik Ramm schrieb:

>where a guy from a TV broadcaster inquired about using the Baghdad map
on-air.

That guy was me :-)
We never used the map in the end - we're a news broadcaster so didn't have time
to thrash through the legalities on that day.

>I think I'm speaking for the majority of contributors when I say that
>having the credits in the credits roll at the end of a TV production is
>perfectly all right (that's the usual place for credits in that medium)
>but the responsiblity rests with you, or the broadcaster, in the end.

As a further datum point, the map generation system we use at the moment,
Curious maps from Viz systems (http://www.vizrt.com/products/article231.ece) is
pretty standard in broadcasting, and uses datasets from a variety of sources,
public domain and private. USGS and NASA for long range views, Microsoft
Virtual Earth for close-ups. In this case, the Virtual Earth logo is displayed
reasonably prominently onscreen, overlaying the graphics, rather than in the
credits at the end of the program. Nobody seems bothered about that as a
requirement. ie, it doesn't annoy anybody, so it seems fair to expect similar
prominence for OSM data.

Although it's just occurred to me that Microsoft license their data from
someone else (TeleAtlas?) so I'm surprised they get the onscreen credit, rather
than the original supplier.

Regards

Phillip

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4474
E phillip.barn...@itn.co.uk
http://WWW.ITN.CO.UK
P  Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

Please Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
This email and any files attached are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual
or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify postmas...@itn.co.uk

Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our
clients and business,

Thank You.