Gervase Markham <gerv-gm...@...> writes:

>[<http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/>]

>>Can the manually located postboxes, based on OSM data and a list of
>>postbox street locations from the Royal Mail, be added to OSM?
>
>Yes.

I have started work on a tool to sync these
(code at <http://github.com/epa/osm_postboxes>).  So far it just generates
a report for manual fixing, but I will make it a bot fairly soon.  I have
entered the data for one postcode area, E10.

However I would like to check again with the legal mailing list, because I'm
planning to import not just the location of the postbox (which has been found
by hand by contributors to the Dracos site, as discussed) and its 'ref' number,
but also the postcode and address listed in the file.

For example the following row from
<http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/export.php>:

    Ref=E10 18
    PC=E10 5AH
    Loc1=Capworth Street
    Loc2=(blank)
    Latitude=51.5729084
    Longitude=-0.0116965
    Last M-F=17:30
    Last Sat=11:30

gets turned into the following in OSM:

    node with lat=51.5729084, lon=-0.0116965, and tags:
        amenity=post_box
        ref=E10 18
        postal_code=E10 5AH
        addr:street=Capworth Street

It appears to me that adding these two extra tags postal_code and
addr:street (and sometimes addr:housenumber) from the data file should
be okay, but I wanted to check with this list.  If these are felt to be
a step too far then I will just add the lat,lon and ref.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>