Alex,

Alexrk wrote:
> Am I right that such a tourist map could only be published under a CC-like
> license again? In other words, if I do so and sell just one copy of that map,
> any "Big Publishing & Co" could duplicate and sell the same on its own for
> ..hmm.. half the price?

Correct.

> So if that interpretation of CC-BY-SA is correct, practically no one would be
> able to do really creative things with OSM if she or he would like to get a
> ROI
> on that work?

Our standard reply is that you cannot expect to apply old-world business
models to our new world order. There is a lot of room for "really
creative things"; taking our map and printing an A-Z is not exactly a
prime example of creativity.

The suggested ODbL license changes situation by allowing you to make a
"produced work" and license that under a non-share-alike license as long
as the produced work is not a database.