Hi,

Oliver (skobbler) wrote:
a derivative database that is only used to create a Produced Work is
excluded from the share-alike:

4.5 Limits of Share Alike. The requirements of Section 4.4 (Share-alike,
remark Oliver) do not apply in the following:

      a. [..]

      b. Using this Database, a Derivative Database, or this Database as
part of a Collective Database to create a Produced Work does not create a
Derivative Database for purposes of Section 4.4; and

No, I believe you misread that (but would appreciate a third set of eyeballs on this). The sentence you quoted means:

"The act of using a derivative database (or this database, or this database as part of a collective database) for the creation of a produced work does not in itself create a derivative database".

I.e. simply using some database to create a produced work does not somehow magically create a derivative database which you would have to share. For example if you use the planet file to create a produced work, you are not automatically creating a derivative database.

However if you explicitly make a derivative database for the purpose of creating a produced work - and this is what would happen in my scenario - the full force of 4.4c,

"A Derivative Database is Publicly Used and so must comply with Section 4.4. if a Produced Work created from the Derivative Database is Publicly Used."

and then 4.4a,

"Any Derivative Database that You Publicly Use must be only under the terms of: i. This License; ii. A later version of this License similar in spirit to this License; or iii. A compatible license."

There is no doubt in my mind that the derived database on which the routing is based *must* be shared.

Your interpretation of 4.5b would effectively render 4.4c completely useless.