John,

John Smith wrote:
You are correct, it's obvious that there is some people unhappy with
the status quo.

I wouldn't exactly say I am unhappy with the status quo. It's like living in a house where experts say it is going to fall apart any minute - you might like to be able to retain the status quo but it's not on the menu. The status quo is volatile, and is soon going to be a status quo ante - one way or another.

It's got nothing to do with Google and it's not helpful to drag them
into the discussion.

It could have been any community that offers map editing similar to
OSM, Google just happens to be the most obvious alternative.

Google is not an obvious alternative. The only respect in which they are remotely similar to OSM is technology; they don't have the same kind of community and they don't produce the kind of output that OSM contributors want.

Personally I don't see any alternative to OSM that comes close, even remotely.