On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM, TimSC <mapp...@sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:

> According to the wiki, there is no legal implications to the declaration, so
> it was not intended for this purpose. On the other hand the license page on
> the rails port says "In addition to the above agreement, I consider my
> contributions to be in the Public Domain" - how is this not a legal
> agreement to put contributions in the PD? Perhaps some clarification would
> improve the situation.

Never mind what Richard says, there's also some other points
1) You can't actually put anything into the public domain in most
jurisdictions. The best you can do yourself is use a special license,
such as CC0, which achieves similar results, but strictly isn't the
same - especially when it comes to moral rights
2) There's clearly not enough legalese there for it to be effective :-)
3) I can "consider" my edits public domain to my heart's content, but
if they are based on other people's non-PD edits, then they aren't
going to be fully PD.

So I've characterised this as the "wishful thinking" option, and
anyone who agrees to it should have a little notice appear saying "I
see what you're saying, now if only life was actually that simple".

Cheers,
Andy