Liz wrote:
> As you realise, in my jurisdiction, CC-by-SA is a better licence than
> ODbL,
> as it has been well checked and has government use.

No. It isn't that simple.

Two recent, very high-profile judgements in Australia both repudiate the
notion that copyright can protect collections of unoriginal facts. These are
IceTV vs Nine Network (last year) and Telstra vs Phone Directories (this
year). These effectively supersede the 2002 Telstra vs Desktop Marketing
Systems judgement which did support sweat-of-the-brow for databases.

A licence which only works through copyright (such as CC-BY-SA) will
therefore offer little or no protection in Australia, compared to one which
also includes a contractual element (such as ODbL).

Whether or not the Australian Government took this into account when
releasing public information, I have no idea. (Factual data only makes up a
small part of their CC-licensed release.)

I am, however, sure that any legal case involving infringement of OSM data
in Australia would be judged following IceTV vs Nine Network and Telstra vs
Phone Directories, rather than following any licence which the legislature
might or might not have chosen to apply for its data.

> I have not changed my mind, as you still will have changed the licence
> by stealth and creep.

I have suggested to LWG that the "licence may be changed in the future"
clause in CT is withdrawn. That notwithstanding I don't see any widespread
intention to change the licence by stealth and creep.

cheers
Richard