On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 07:24:25AM +0200, jamesmikedup...@googlemail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>
> > Someone
> > in Germany might contribute data under CC-By-SA and be bound by it, and
> > someone in the US might extract that data as quasi-PD and to what he likes.

I think this is less realistic when many companies¹ either operate
internationally or do business with other companies who operate
internationally.

> If there is no single law, then we can just extract the changes again
> back in usa and put them back in no? Then it is a two way street.

You could, but then you would make the situation confusing in
jurisdictions that do respect rights on the data.  Copyright and
database right does not simply go away with the act of removing the work
from the database and putting it back again.

¹I’m assuming business to make writing about it a little more succinct,
but the “Someone” in Frederik’s post could really be anyone.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall