On 28 November 2010 19:51, Andreas Perstinger
<andreas.perstin...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for my probably stupid question, but I'm rather new to OSM and still
> learning :-).
>
> As I understand it, we build a database which we fill with coordinates and
> their tags. Because of the license change some (or most or all?) are afraid
> that we loose data from the users who don't sign the new CT or don't like
> the new license.
> But why? Isn't the content the users provide just facts (at least the
> coordinates, some tags could be questionable)? Why is there a problem to
> distribute the database from day x on under the new license regardless if
> the users accepted the new CT or not?

There are two possible answers (I have no idea which applies, or if
both applies):

(i) The data may actually be protected, eg by the sui generis database
right that applies in the European Union and EEA, just because it is
"just facts" doesn't mean there is no IP in it - and worse maybe some
of what has been contributed is in fact a "map" or part of a map and
so protected by normal copyright.

(ii) As a matter of principle (not of law), contributors have been
agreeing to one licence and one might think it was good practice to
ask them to agree to a difference licence - just because you can take
something legally doesn't mean you should.

--
Francis Davey