On 12/06/2010 10:18 AM, Andrew Harvey wrote:

I suppose I don't mind if a license is technically invalid because of
some obscure legal reason, I just think that the intent needs to be
there, publicly, officially, and clearly stated on what they are okay
with and what they aren't. I don't think the Bing people have clearly
stated what they consider acceptable and what they don't.

You can use the Bing map tiles in OSM editors and contribute the results to OSM:

"Microsoft is pleased to announce the royalty-free use of the Bing Maps Imagery Editor API, allowing the Open Street Map community to use Bing Maps imagery via the API as a backdrop to your OSM map editors."

Another potential problem I see with Bing is, as far as I could tell,
this grant is only for OpenStreetMap. Does their permission extend to
other people who then use the OSM database? I feel this needs to be
made clear.

Once it's in the OSM DB, it's under OSM's control thanks to the CTs, so there are no downstream issues caused by the data coming from Bing.

- Rob.