On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM, 80n <80n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In  other words, this license makes no grants of rights to publish derived
> works
> under any particular license, over and above what was already there.

That's probably a combination of the fact that Microsoft doesn't own
that right in the first place and the fact that tracing a map doesn't
create a derived work.

> If we  couldn't do it before, we can't do it now, but that also implies that
> if we
> can do it now we were also allowed to do it before, although we may not have
> had the right to use their API and/or an application to do that.

Not quite true.  Before it may have been a violation of the TOS.  Now
it quite clearly isn't.

Nothing to do with copyright law, but as was said, better than what
OSM has with Yahoo, which is basically the same thing without any of
it being in writing.