It would seem to me that anyone who has agreed to the contributor
terms and who then edits content that is published by OSM is in breach
of the CC-BY-SA license.

Currently the OSM database is published as a CC-BY-SA work.  If that
content is downloaded from the OSM database and modified then this
creates a derived work.

If that derived work is loaded back to OSM then it can only be done so
under the same license by which it was received, namely CC-BY-SA.
That's the nature of the share alike clause in CC-BY-SA.  But anyone
who has agreed to the contributor terms is claiming that they can
contribute this content under a different license.

Now I know that it is the intention of OSMF to delete any such
content, but in fact anyone who has edit such CC-BY-SA derived works
is already in actual breach of the license under which they *received*
that content.

If you have agreed to the contributor terms you are likely to be
breaching the terms of CC-BY-SA.