On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess your argument hinges on whether uploading data to the OSM
> servers is a form of "publishing" in terms of copyright.

Indeed, it's the act of distribution.  The  question is, if the user
uploads a derivative work to OSM is that than an act of distribution?

If they were to distribute a copy of the derived work to some other
third party such as Google, and grant Google rights that go beyond
CC-BY-SA then it's clear that they have breached CC-BY-SA.

There is no special condition or exception for OSM and so the same rule applies.