Ed,

you wrote:
Yes, I believe so, although I do not see an explicit statement on
http://www.opendatacommons.org/ or in the licence text.

...ah OK! I'm going to ask those guys for permission.

I don't believe the ODbL has any 'terms of contribution'. Those are a separate
idea thought up by the OSM project.

...again 'ah'! I didn't realize that.

Note, however,
that just releasing your project under ODbL might not be enough to allow its
incorporation into the OSM project, which has its own set of contributor terms.

That's OK. My first step is to make the data publicly available to promote the project. When contributors show up, we can discuss 'our' terms of contribution.

Thanks a lot for some light in the legal-dark :-)

Cheers,
Willy