> Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80@...> writes:
>
> The European definition of a database is "a collection of independent
> works, data or other materials arranged in a systematic or methodical
> way and individually accessible by electronic or other means".

Which really, really should be the end of this.

A PNG doesn't fit this description as its intent is to encode a single
complete image and the pixels are not independent. Likewise PNG and SVG.
Place them in a systematic or methodical collection and you have a
database of images. But this is separate from their contents.

If I place a travel photo of mine into a PNG and then print it out, I
have not gained a database right. Likewise if I autotrace it to SVG
before printing it. There is a single work, arbitrarily encoded. No
database right.

- Rob.