2011/12/21 ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen <g.grem...@cetest.nl>:
> I think it's relevant that node changes as suggested
> should involve stand alone nodes only (such as POI).
> Once they are part of a structure of say a building or a road, water
> or any area, the nodes should be considered a "composition"  rather
> then 4 nodes

IMHO rights on this "composition" can also faint, e.g. years ago a
(non-ct) mapper was drawing a rough street with nodes every 300
meters. Now those initial way has five times more nodes then it had in
its initial version (most probably the initial way would also be split
into different pieces now, due to details like speed limits,
turn-restrictions, bus routes, lane-count, ...).

I think there must also be a point where nothing from the initial way
is actually contained in the current data (often these initial ways
don't have much attributes, it is common in here to find ways which
only have/had a highway-tag (the value is now often changed, so not
even one tag is the same). If you assume that other tags (like the
name) would also have been inserted by the following mappers you could
extend this to ways which had a name (or some other frequent tag, for
which a following mapper guarantees that he would have added it if it
were missing).

> While the underlying structure is a geographic fact, the choice
> of place nodes and the number to represent the structure is
> a creative work.

+1, but where is the point that this structure is significantly
changed? How many nodes do you have to move and insert/delete to be
something different?

What if someone takes a river, moves it aside and lets it become a
track (deletes the river tags and sets highway-tag, changes name). Now
he copies this way as a new way (new nodes and way) to the old
position of the river and sets tags. Is the track-way now tainted
because it consists of old nodes, while the river is OK because it was
newly created? Admittedly a rare corner case, but IMHO one that shows
that there is a point where there is no more original information in
the following versions of a way.

cheers,
Martin