Mike, I think we should come to a clearer recommendation, specifically with
regards to share-alike data.

The highly infectuous character of share alike licenses severely restricts
OSM's leeway of adjusting its license and we shouldn't paint ourselves into a
corner this way.

Here are the simple rules I do recommend currently when talking to people and
that I would love OSM to adopt officially.

Contribute only data that is:

- Yours
- Is public domain or merely requires attribution
- You have an explicit permission from owner for contribution to OSM for

BTW, I actually think there are only very few potential datasets that are in
question here. I have doubts whether ODbL is actually compatible given OSMF's
option to change the license to another open license in the future, and
CC-BY-SA is clearly not compatible as it does not distinguish between derived
and produced works.

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Michael Collinson <m...@ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> On 20/09/2012 07:32, Mike Dupont wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a question about imports and the ODBl,
>>
>> I see that some sources have decided to dual license the data
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue
>>
>> But how can some third parties data be compatible when the CT says it
>> can change any time, surly they might be compatible with the current
>> instance of the license, but how can they be compatible with future
>> versions of the license when they are no known?
>>
>> How can a contributor import any data and keep the data open to
>> license change? How can you keep any imports at all from people who
>> have not agreed to the CT directly?
>>
>> thanks
>> mike
>>
> This one has been covered pretty exhaustively previously.  To recap for all
> interested:
>
> () The CTs where written carefully to say, "If you contribute Contents, You
> are indicating that, as far as You know, You have the right to authorize OSMF
> to use and distribute those Contents under our current licence terms."
> "current license terms", so ODbL 1.0.
>
> () The future is the future, so cannot be known.
>
> () Should the license terms change in the future, there is a possibility that
> imported data may become incompatible. Therefore the original licensor needs
> be contacted for approval. Given the general trend to more open data, after
> what we are all about, that approval may well be given.
>
> () Note also that, by design, a duty to provide first level attribution is
> placed on the OSMF. This survives any potential license change and is general
> the most important concern of government organisations.
>
> () The is always the possibility that data may need to be removed and that is
> one of the minuses of imports. That is why it is important to always
> understand third-party licenses and to get general consent of any potentially
> affected, usually national or regional level, OSM mapping community before
> importing.  There is a healthy debate indirectly about this going on in the
> general talk list.
>
> Mike

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth