[mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl]
> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 4:47 AM
> To: Licensing and other legal discussions.
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Attribution Requirements
>
> > The thing is that for us, for OpenStreetMap, the attribution is our main

> > remuneration. We give our data away for free but in return, we expect
> > to get at least a little bit of exposure, a little help in "building our

> > brand" to borrow some marketing speak.
>
> So, what exactly means free for you : no money only ? This is how OSM
> started: Not free as in beer, but. . finish yourself (probably forgotten
> by most) OSM is not asking for a little bit of exposure, but for a
> substantial deviation of "free".

For the meaning of free/open there's a few sources to look at. When it
comes to data there's opendefinition.org, but if you look at free/open
outside of data  there's the Open Source definition
(http://opensource.org/osd)
and the DFSG (http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines).

All of these allow attribution and share-alike requirements. For the
ODbL, the requirements are

> You must include a notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably
> calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with,
> or is otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was
> obtained from [OpenStreeMap], and that it is available under [the ODbL].

For CC BY and CC BY-SA, our old license, the requirements are

> You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give
> [OpenStreetMap] credit reasonable to the medium or means You are
> utilizing by conveying the [pseudonym OpenStreetMap]; the title of the
> Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform
> Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated
> with the Work ... and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit
> identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French
> translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on
> original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in
> any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a
> Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear
> where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at
> least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.

Many of the companies failing to meet attribution requirements are using
OpenStreetMap data for the majority of their map data, and sometimes have
no attribution at all. The OpenStreetMap requirements are less onerous than
alternative commercial sources, and our attribution requirements are the
same as or less onerous than most open data from governments.