On 05/05/14 09:16 AM, Simon Poole wrote:

> We have raised the question of Dynamic Data in a dedicated guideline
> given that a number of things are not so clear and even while, using the
> example from the guideline, the occupancy of a parking lot is an
> observable fact it is questionable if we would want to require that
> anybody that creates such or similar application has to provide a real
> time feed of the data on ODbL terms.

If a loophole for this case is inserted, expect to see a sudden increase
in realtime (and "realtime") generation of data. ;-)

If we change realtime to ephemeral, mapping data is ephemeral in
geological time. If we stick with Dynamic, well, SQL queries and views
are dynamic aren't they?

If I want to e.g. combine parking data with littering data for a study
or translate it into audio so I can consult it safely while driving,
access to the data is useful. This may not amount to a moral imperative,
but the debate is currently framed in terms of utility...

Deciding which data is and isn't useful (to users, not OSM) has two
problems:

1. It requires an Oracle. We cannot know which data is and isn't useful.
For example the locations of taxis in London may not seem all that
useful after the fact, but:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Merchandise&oldid=1838

2. People will always push to avoid the license, and any exception will
be abused. That isn't a reason to not add an exception or clarification,
but it is a reason to be wary of pressure for them.

- Rob.