On 2014-07-14 8:15 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com> wrote:
This is also how I'm reading this. Obviously the sticky point is the definition of what's a database in this sentence: "systematically recreate a database from the process". You can't abuse geocoding to recreate OpenStreetMap without triggering share alike.
The definition of 'substantial' is key here, isn't it? In one of the examples I added, the result of OSM-based geocoding actions would potentially be stored on a client in a collection of 'favorites' together with other favorites that may be the result of tainted geocoding. There's really two questions here - 1) is this collection of favorites 'substantial' and 2) does this mixed storage trigger share alike in an of itself?

Given that any database of geocoding results is going to be clearly based upon the Database [OpenStreetMap], and that any interesting uses of OSM are probably going to substantial, I don't see the definition of it mattering.

In most of the cases raised in the wiki page, there's a derivative database of geocoding results and some other non-derivative database of something not taken from OSM, e.g. non-OSM POIs with just an address. You then take this collection of data sources and create a produced work, e.g. a page showing what the user has showed.

Once you start taking actual POI information from OSM, not just addresses, then your POI database will also be a derivative of OSM.