Hi Jennifer --
The OSM API does now allow or support systematically gathering data like
that, which is also stated on the API wiki,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API#Terms_of_use. This OSM API is meant
to support map editing applications.
Even if you would gather the OSM data in some other way though, it would
probably depend: how small is 'a small portion'? What OSM data is mixed
with what other data and what is the license for that other data?
Martijn

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Jennifer Bauman <jbau...@crosschasm.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of using OSM in a way that I believe is different that the
> use cases discussed at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases and I would like to
> know what the license requirements would be for this use case.
>
> The use case is:
>
> A company uses the OSM API to gather data for certain routes. They then
> perform internal calculations of this and other data from other sources.
> OSM data is a small portion of the data used. The result of their
> calculations is used in a vehicle application (i.e., displays a value on a
> dashboard or changes how the vehicle operates).
>
> 1) Is this allowed?
>
> 2) If so, how would I give credit if nothing is displayed? Or would I not
> have to give credit since no map or direct data is displayed?
>
> Thanks,
> Jen Bauman
>
> --
>
> Jennifer Bauman
>
> Director, Vehicle Modeling | CrossChasm Technologies
>
> Phone: 519.342.7385
>
> Toll-Free: 1.800.975.2434
>
> Email: jbau...@crosschasm.com
>
> Web: www.crosschasm.com