Am 02.03.2015 um 18:08 schrieb Jennifer Bauman:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of using OSM in a way that I believe is different that the
> use cases discussed
> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases and I would like
> to know what the license requirements would be for this use case.
>
> The use case is:
>
> A company uses the OSM API to gather data for certain routes. They then
> perform internal calculations of this and other data from other sources.
> OSM data is a small portion of the data used. The result of their
> calculations is used in a vehicle application (i.e., displays a value on
> a dashboard or changes how the vehicle operates).
>
> 1) Is this allowed?

Taking what Martijn has already answered in to account (that you can't
actually use what we understand as the "OSM API" in that fashion, but I
expect you didn't actually want to do that in the first place), why
wouldn't you be allowed to? The current OSM distribution licence does
not restrict who or how you can use OSM data, except that you may have
have some obligations that you need to fulfil in certain use cases
(without knowing details it is difficult to detail what they would be,
if any).

> 2) If so, how would I give credit if nothing is displayed? Or would I
> not have to give credit since no map or direct data is displayed?

Naturally the obligation to attribute OSM does not go away just because
you are not displaying a map. In you case showing it on a splash screen
on start up of the application/car/whatever could be a possible
solution. You simply need to make the consumer/user of your application
aware of the source of the data.

Simon