Hi,

On 13.12.19 19:28, Kathleen Lu via legal-talk wrote:
> “Derivative Database” – Means a database based upon the Database, and
> includes any translation, adaptation, arrangement, modification, or any
> other alteration of the Database or of a Substantial part of the
> Contents.

Interesting. I knew the ODbL text but I have always glossed over this
definition, assuming that "well you know what derived means".

I'll have to ponder this for a while, it changes some assumptions I had
made. It would mean that, for example, a database that contains a count
of all pubs in each municipality, or a database that contains the
average travel time from a building in a city to the nearest hospital,
or a heatmap of ice cream parlours, would not fall under the ODbL
because these, while derived from OSM, do not actually contain a copy of
anything in OSM (and neither could they possibly be used to reassemble
OSM).

I had until now assumed that such works would definitely fall under the
ODbL but you are right, they don't really fit the "Derivative Database"
definition.